Tuesday 11 December 2012

Long snowy adventure

Theres's no better feeling for the trainee ultra runner than a semi-planned long slow run. Even more so when your usual playground has a completely different dynamic with the addition of a blanket of snow and ice. These sort of ventures add a spot of excitement and variation, especially if training is becoming a little stale.
 
So with about 20 miles in mind I headed out of my valley along Broomhead reservoir before kicking up the road to climb into the next valley. As my elevation increased so did the ice and snow making some of the steeper ascents rather interesting. The view into the next valley was spectacular as always, only today even more so with a low winter sun and a snow capped hills. As I reached the beginning of Strines Moor the views were even more impressive so I took the time to grab a couple of photos on my camera phone.
 
 
Strines Moor
 


As I started the steady climb over the moors the snow was adding to the resistance significantly, more akin to running on sand, which added to the incline was seriously hard work. Not least the cold and occasional freezing winds. All this would have been more than bearable, even enjoyable but for the increasingly deeper snow.

 
 
Happy in the snow
 



Getting a bit too much really
 


The issue was that in places the snow hid deep stream beds that I was breaking through and soaking my already chilly feet. So with the concern of a rolled ankle, the fact the path was hard to follow and that clearly with virgin snow I was out there by myself I took the decision to abandon going the full stretch across the Strines. Not least because on a clear day recently I had a pretty awful navigational error adding a few miles to my journey. So with this in mind I spun around, retraced my footprints before dropping down to Agden and Dam Flask to circumnavigate the reservoirs. The issues down there weren't snow but black ice most of the way around. However skirting the edge of the trails allowed me to pick up the pace a little.

Trail around Dam Flask
 


After the reservoirs I had to face the prospect of the not insignificant climb back over to my valley. So I kicked up the road towards upper Bradfield and as the gradient went up a notch I slowed enough to eat something. As I did a fellow runner came alongside and passed me. I'd just seen this guy warming up at his car a short way back so aware he was on fresh legs (me with near on 16miles in mine) I dropped in behind him to help give me a tow to Bradfield. This didn't go to plan as he immediately slowed on overtaking me and I had the embarrasing situation of plodding directly behind him. As a result I've pulled alongside had a chat and carried on my way. It is amusing how runners and other athletes feel the need to compete during training. Whatever the motivation, clearly this guy must have bust a gut running up the hill to me, then not really wanting to talk and having nothing left in the tank, he probably felt a bit silly afterwards. Oh well the brief company was well received and broke up my journey.

By the time I finished nearing the 20 mile mark I was bonking pretty badly and couldn't wait to eat some carbs. After the evil cold/chest infection I've had recently I needed the confidence from this run to really leap back into my ultra training. I'm going to keep these efforts fortnightly for the time being as 5 days later with only short runs inbetween my achilles and shin splints are still sore. I'll be looking at flatter 10-15 milers I think to condition myself for the Dukeries Ultra in order to aim for a top ten spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment